• Let's Light the B For All to See!

Filed under News, Showcase

James Margetts (Class of 1985) and Robin Pilcher (Class of 1970) Hit Pay Dirt

Jim Margetts and Wendy Pilcher (representing her husband, Robin)

Bingham High Pay Dirt Club 2017

A miner in the early days of Bingham Canyon, who struck it rich was said to have struck pay dirt.  Those miners would take a mule, shovel, pick and dynamite along with a drill bit and double jack and work hundreds of hours drilling, blasting and shoveling.  With a combination of hard work and little bit of luck a miner might find a rich vein of gold silver of copper ore.  This was “dirt” that paid him money or pay dirt.  Striking pay dirt symbolizes a successful miner.  Because of this, Bingham High School’s Hall of Fame is called the Pay Dirt Club.   Two successful Bingham Miners, James Margetts (Class of 1985) and Robin Pilcher (Class of 1970) were formally inducted into the Bingham High School Pay Dirt Club at the homecoming assembly on September 12, 2017.

James Margetts (Class of 1985)

Jim Margetts began formal piano lessons when he was six years old and quickly developed a special affinity for that instrument, winning prizes in several local competitions and performing as concerto soloist with the Utah Valley Symphony at age ten. He moved with his family to South Jordan in 1978 during his fifth-grade year and subsequently attended Bingham Middle School in Copperton. As an eighth grader, his original composition for two pianos won first place at the national level of the PTA Reflections Contest. While a student at Bingham High School, Jim accompanied and sang in the BHS Madrigals and A Cappella Choirs and accompanied the school musical each year. As a senior, he won first place in the Utah State Fair piano competition and was Music Sterling Scholar runner-up. At graduation in 1985, he was a recipient of the BHS Pick and Shovel Award.

Jim went on to earn a bachelor’s degree in piano performance and pedagogy from Brigham Young University in 1994. Later, he received master’s and doctoral degrees in piano performance from the University of Cincinnati. He has performed in many concerts across the United States and in Canada, Mexico, Japan, New Zealand, and Australia. For fifteen years, he worked as a member of the music faculty at three different colleges and universities in Illinois, Colorado, and Nebraska. In 2014, Dr. Margetts was appointed Dean of the School of Liberal Arts at Chadron [pronounced SHAD-rin] State College in Chadron, Nebraska. He and his wife Colleen are the parents of four children.

Robin L. Pilcher (Class of 1970)

While attending Bingham High School, Robin L. Pilcher participated in wrestling and was a member of the student council.  He was also involved in the Red Cross, Medical Career and Industrial Arts Clubs. He graduated with the Class of 1970. 

Robin worked for the Salt Lake Unified Fire for thirty-five years. He served as a fireman, paramedic, captain, Deputy Fire Marshal and Deputy Director of Salt Lake Country Emergency Crew. He was deployed by Utah Task Force one to Ground Zero for 9/11 as well as Hurricane Rita. Due to the hazardous effects of 9/11, he was later diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and passed away a few months later. He was honored on September 15th, 2017, in Colorado Springs at the National Fallen Firefighters Memorial and will be honored in September 2018 at the memorial at Ground Zero in New York City.

A few of his awards and accomplishments included becoming an Eagle Scout and taking first place in the All-Church Basketball Tournament.  He served an LDS mission in the Alaska/British Columbia Mission from 1971 to 1973.  After retirement, he also served two missions with his wife, Wendy.  The first was to the Heber Valley Girls camp where they helped young women develop in their faith.  The second was a Member Leadership Support mission in the Salt Lake South Mission.

His pride and joy was always his loving wife, Wendy; their four amazing children, and his 13 adorable grandkids. 

One of his favorite sayings was, “All people are born equal, but a select few become firefighters.”  It is a pleasure to award this Pay Dirt Award to an American hero…Robin L. Pilcher. 

• James Margetts (Class of 1985) and Robin Pilcher (Class of 1970) Hit Pay Dirt

News

LET’S LIGHT THE B FOR ALL TO SEE

News

Happy Birthday Bingham High School

Showcase

BINGHAM CANYON HISTORY

News

Bingham Alumni Foundation Awards Scholarships

Showcase

Bingham’s Stetler, Westlake’s Christensen share pole vault state record

Showcase

5A boys’ soccer: Bingham keeper Rothey comes up huge on PKs to oust Westlake

News

Girls’ golf: Blair continues family’s dominance, leads Bingham to 5A title

Showcase

Soccer (Boys) Rankings

News

Prep softball: Pair of left-handers give Bingham rare look in the circle

Showcase

High school baseball: Miners, Darts, Knights lead top contenders into 5A tournament

Skip to toolbar
The official site of Bingham High School Alumni & Friends ....... Then, Now, Always  1908 - 2017