• Congratulations to the Bingham High Class of 2018

Filed under News, Showcase

A Bingham Legend, Lowell P. Hicks dies at the age of 104

Legendary Bingham High School and West Jordan Junior High School teacher, Lowell P. Hicks died on February 20, 2018 at the age of 104.  Lowell Hicks is best known for writing the music to Bingham High School’s Hymn, “We’ll Always Remember” back in 1953.   He returned many times to Bingham High to play the hymn on the marimba and recount his days at Bingham High.  He was two months short of 102, the last time he came back to our school.   He was awarded the Candlelight Service Award in 1991 for his outstanding service to Bingham High.   A summary of his accomplishments is listed below:

Bingham High music teacher (1952-1958)

Composed the music for Bingham High’s school hymn, “We’ll Always Remember” (1953)

Opened West Jordan Junior High in 1958 and taught music there for 13 years

Retired from Union Junior High in 1976

Member of the Utah Symphony Orchestra

Helped students to appreciate music on a grand scale as an important part of their everyday lives

Will always be remembered at Bingham High as the person who composed the music to the school hymn which was put to the words of a poem written by Robert Knotts, a Bingham English teacher.

His obituary recounted the following:

Lowell Perry Hicks, age 104, passed peacefully into the arms of his wife, Bernice, and other loved ones, Tuesday, February 20, 2018. His devoted caregiver, Ruby was by his side.

Lowell was born December 23, 1913, in Grantsville, UT, to John Ulrich Buehler Hicks and Amy Dorothy Erickson Hicks, the youngest of 5 children (Hilda Marie, Jay Irl, Ruth, R. Blaine.) He came from a great Pioneer heritage from both his father and his mother. He spent much of his early life in Tooele County, working on a family ranch, also living in Salt Lake in his later youth. He attended LDS High School, East High School, and the University of Utah.

As a young boy, he began his journey with music, showing great talent. He began playing xylophone, later learning vibra-harp and marimba. He also played piano and organ. Lowell was hired as a young man to play with KSL radio and several local bands, which enabled him to earn his way through school, graduating in music education. He also taught private music lessons, and was hired to teach marimba to a lovely young lady, Bernice, in Malad, ID.

After a 3-year courtship, Lowell married Bernice Alene Horsley in the Salt Lake Temple, on Aug 4, 1937. David O. McKay performed the ceremony. Lowell and Bernice performed together for many years, playing at numerous weddings, funerals, dances, and parties. They raised their family in Salt Lake City; Marilyn Kay, Jean, Roger Lowell, Teresa, and Ronald Ernest were born over the next several years.

Throughout much of Lowell’s life, he taught music in the Granite and Jordan school districts, taught private lessons, and played evening dance jobs often. His rich musical legacy touched not only thousands of people, young and old, but also played an important role in his family, even down to his great-grandchildren, many of whom create and enjoy music. Lowell and Bernice served a mission for the LDS Church at the New Zealand Temple Visitor’s Center, and he was able to share his gift throughout the area playing on a portable set of bells. An active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Lowell contributed his musical ability frequently in a variety of callings. A member of the Utah Symphony for 10 years under Maurice Abravanel, Lowell continued to play until age 103, performing regularly in various care centers.

There were many other interests, as well: bee-keeping, boating, fishing, hunting, camping, even a brief stint of flying. His energy was amazing and doing these things with his family left a rich heritage of memories for us all.

Lowell was preceded in death by his wife, Bernice; parents and siblings. He is survived by his children, Kay (Melvin) Ward, Jean Wright, Roger (Linda) Hicks, Teresa (Steve) Ross, and Ronald (Sherri) Hicks; 30 grandchildren, 67 great-grandchildren, and 2 great-great grandchildren, and the posterity continues to grow.

The family wishes to express deep gratitude to Hospice of Utah workers, Joan, Bobby, Jed, Joe, Alice, Mandy, Julia, Galen, and others, who went the second mile in assisting in the care of Lowell. We are especially grateful to Ruby (Pipiena Lupe Ofa) who has assisted in the loving and patient care of both Lowell and Bernice for the past 6 ½ years. She has been like a daughter for them both.

His life will be honored Saturday, February 24 at the Yalecrest Ward, 1035 South 1800 East, SLC, Utah at 11:00 a.m. A viewing will be held prior to the services from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. A viewing will also be held Friday evening, February 23, from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at Larkin Sunset Lawn Mortuary, 2350 East 1300 South, SLC. Interment will be at Larkin Sunset Lawn Cemetery.

Yes, we will always remember Lowell P. Hicks.  Thank you for your contributions to Bingham High School.  

• A Bingham Legend, Lowell P. Hicks dies at the age of 104

News

Bingham Baseball Wins 22nd State Championship

News

2018 Bingham Alumni Foundation Scholarships Awarded

News

Class of 1998 20 Year Reunion

News

Bingham Baseball Team Is Looking for Bingham Canyon Mining Hard Hat

News

Barry Lehto Receives 2017 Candlelight Service Award

News

Bingham Wins 11th State Football Title

News

2017 Cleaning and Whitewashing of the B

News

LET’S LIGHT THE B FOR ALL TO SEE

News

James Margetts (Class of 1985) and Robin Pilcher (Class of 1970) Hit Pay Dirt

News

Happy Birthday Bingham High School

Skip to toolbar
The official site of Bingham High School Alumni & Friends ....... Then, Now, Always  1908 - 2018